Now hiring!
PHONE: 503.241.0035
333 SW 5th Ave. #525
Portland, OR 97204

Immigration trivia!

Do you want to brush up on your immigration facts? Check out our immigration trivia game! Read each statement below, and then click the “true or false” card to reveal the answer. You might even find some resources that you didn’t know about before. Good luck!

1. Immigration reform has not passed yet. 


2. It would be really hard for me to find an attorney who speaks spanish.


3. Same sex bi-national couples do not have any immigration benefits.


4. Undocumented people can go to college.


5. Undocumented students have to pay out of state tuition to attend college in Oregon. 


6. If you marry a US citizen, you automatically get your Green card or you automatically get on a path to US citizenship. 


7. I can still apply for DACA.


8. If someone gets detained by ICE, they will automatically get deported.


9. I don’t have to answer questions asked by law enforcement officials, even if I feel intimidated.


10. I graduated from highschool last year, and am seeking an associate’s degree at a community college this year. I can’t reapply for DACA, because deferred action is reserved for four-year undergraduate students.


11. Even if I’m undocumented, I can keep my money and investments safe by signing up for a bank account.


12. If I’m undocumented, there is no way for me to pay taxes and I never should.


 true 1Comprehensive immigration reform has only passed in the Senate but not in the House.

2 falseThere are immigration attorneys who speak Spanish in the Portland area. All ILG staff members speak Spanish.

3 falseA US citizen or permanent resident can petition for their partner if eligible.

four trueUndocumented folks can attend college.

5 falseAs of April 2, 2013, Tuition Equity was signed into law in Oregon. If eligible, this law permits undocumented folks to pay in-state tuition instead of out-of state tuition, which decreases the amount of money one has to pay to attend college. There are also scholarships designed for undocumented youth.

6 false You still have to go through an immigration process. 

true 7However, we encourage you to apply soon, if eligible. Read more about renewing or applying for your DACA status here.

8 falsePeople who are detained by ICE have the right to a hearing.  If your loved one is detained, be sure to call an attorney right away.  To learn more, check out this guide for detained immigrants and this guide to the Northwest Detention Center on the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project’s website.

9 trueFrom the ACLU’s “Know Your Rights” handbook: “You have the constitutional right to remain silent. In general, you do not have to talk to lawenforcement officers (or anyone else), even if you do not feel free to walk away from the officer, you are arrested, or you are in jail. You cannot be punished for refusing to answer a question. it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer before agreeing to answer questions. In general, only a judge can order you to answer questions.” To read the entire ACLU handbook, click here.

10 falseThe educational component of deferred action can be fulfilled in a variety of ways! If you are in a private or public elementary, middle, or high school, or if you are currently registered in a government funded education, literacy, vocational, or career training program, you should apply for renewal.

If you are enrolled in an ESL program aimed at preparing you for job training, employment, or continued education, or if you are enrolled in a program preparing you for your diploma or GED, you may be eligible for DACA renewal.

Unsure about whether the educational program you are enrolled in qualifies for DACA? Make sure to speak to an attorney before you apply, so that you can be certain that you meet the DACA qualifications.

For similar questions about DACA renewals, check out our renewal FAQ. Or, get updates about DACA by signing up for our safe-information network!

11 trueIf you are undocumented, you can sign up for a bank account using an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number). Check out our guide, online and as a PDF for printing, to learn how to open an account.

12 falseIndividual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) were created by the IRS to collect taxes from individuals who don’t have a Social Security Number. Even if you are undocumented, you might be required to file taxes! Check out general information about ITINs on the IRS webpage, and learn more from this post by the American Immigration Council.