Now hiring!
PHONE: 503.241.0035
333 SW 5th Ave. #525
Portland, OR 97204

DACA & GEDs – Part II – Proving It Up

All youth seeking Deferred Action status must pass an education requirement.  There are 4 ways to satisfy the education requirement: (1) graduate from high school, (2) already have a GED, (3) served in the military, or (4) enroll and attend school.  A common question we get is: what if I didn’t get a GED or graduate from high school when President Obama announced the program? To qualify, you must show that on the day you file for Deferred Action status you comply with 1, 2, 3, or 4.  That means, if you enroll in a GED program now, you can still get your work authorization through DACA.

Check this page out for GED resources.

How to prove enrollment in a qualified GED program?  We strongly recommend the GED programs at any of the accredited community colleges.  You will need to obtain: (1) evidence of registration and enrollment (such as a receipt or registration confirmation from the registrar of a community college) indicating enrollment for the most current semester or term and (2) a letter on school letter head signed by the instructor of the GED class confirming your attendance.  The letter should be less than 30 days old at the time you file for DACA status.

If you obtained your GED from Oregon, you can order your transcript online or get your certificate here.